One cook's way to keep track of tasty meals

My Favorite Wines

Veuve Clicquot Champagne
La Crema Chardonnay
Rosenblum Zinfandel

What I'm drinking this week:
Gascon Malbec from Argentina

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Creamy Orzo

I love orzo. I love it in salads, as a side, or in place of pasta. Tonight was another night that the food at the hospital just didn't speak to me (honey glazed ham and au gratin potatoes or tuna noodle casserole) so it was up to my fridge and pantry to tell me what to eat. I have beaucoup de zucchini and yellow squash from my garden, so I am eating it every day. Luckily, I love the stuff. I had some leftover salmon (from the hospital, actually) and needed to eat that too. And so Creamy Orzo with Salmon and Summer Vegetables was born.

Dinner
Orzo: I simmered the orzo with a mixture of beef broth (for flavor and I had to use it up) and water until tender. I only use as much water as the orzo will absorb, unlike when you cook pasta. At the very end, I stirred in about 2 TB of cream.
Veggies: I sauteed diced onion, garlic, zucchini, and yellow squash in olive oil, s& p, and red chili flakes.
When the orzo was ready, I folded the veggies in along with some bite sized pieces of salmon, parsley, and julienned spinach. I finished the dish with some fleur de sel and more pepper. I enjoyed this meal with a cold glass of chardonnay. I realized I hadn't taken a picture halfway through my meal, but I was so darn hungry I didn't pause to find the camera. Next time...

No comments: